site map | main menu | search | contact
Archives: Roman Verostko
This archive contains documents and links related to my art work and writings. This includes documents dating back to the Art Institute of Pittsburgh and my years in monastic life. Selected documents are being added when located and edited for this site.
For Biographical information see: : www.verostko.com/verostko.html
Index of Categories on this page
- The Upsidedown Book & Upsidedown Mural
- 2006, Flowers of Learning: Hortus Conclusus Nazarenus. Spalding University, 2006
- 1998, Manchester Illuminated Universal Turing Machine
- 1997, Epigenesis: The Growth of Form, University of St. Thomas, 1997.
- Homage to Norbert Wiener, 1982 . . .on going.
- 1966-68, Concrete castings for the new St. Vincent Monastery
- 1967-68, Psalms in Sound & Image (1967-68)
- 1956-1958, Ceramic Mural, St. Vincent College Library.
Merging Past & Present
- Computer Wizard Expands Consciousness, Lynn S. La Froth, The Edge, December, 1992, p.5
- Patric Prince in Leonardo 23:4, 1990. Comment on Roman Verostko's paper: "Epigenetic Painting..."
- Computer art wizard expands our parameters of consciousness, in The EDGE, special inaugural issue: "Spiritual & Visionary artists and musicians help transform us", Lynn La Froth, editor. December 1992 / January 1993, p.5.
- Gregg Smith in Pixel: Le Magazine des Nouvelles Images, No 29, 1996. Review, in French, of Roman Verostko's work includes notes on the roots and artistic concerns of the artist.
- Koleen Roberts in the Chronicle of Higher Education, End Paper, March 2, 2001, Review of Algorithmic Fine Art: 25 Years of Experimental Work at Arizona State University, Tempe AZ, 2001.Chronicle review source site: http://chronicle.com/free/v47/i25/25b01901.htm
- Megan Bates in The Arizona Republic, Feb. 1, 2001, Review of Algorithmic Fine Art: 25 Years of Experimental Work at Arizona State University, Tempe AZ, 2001. Arizona Republic source site: http://azcentral.com/rep/arts/articles/0201algorithm01.html
- 2009 SIGGRAPH Lifetime Achievemnt Award
- Mary Abbe, StarTribune, "Minnesota's Roman Verostko...", June 6, 2014
- M.Thomas, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Verostko at St Vincent, 11/18/2015
- List of publications with reference or notes on Verostko's work is located at: ../resume-all.html#BIBLIOGRAPHY
- The Russian Daily Afisha, Feb 22, 2017, notes Verostko's historic contribution with generative art>
Minneapolis Pre-Algorithmic Period
- Don Morrison in The Minneapolis Star, November 1972. Review of Imaging the Unseen, Westlake Gallery, Minneapolis, November 1972. Note: The Minneapolis Star became The Star-Tribune a few years later.
Departure from monastic life, Spring, 1968:
Minneapolis Pre Algorithmic Period
- Illuminating Universal Turing Machines, 2005 (reflections)
- 2004. Imaging the Unseen : statement on my pursuit as an artist
- Statement on algorithmic art (turn of the century overview, 1999-2000)
- 1994 Statement for Computerkunst 1994 showing.
- 1990. Statement in Limited Edition of Boole's Derivation of the Laws
Writings: Theory and Practice
This archive includes the text of writings that appeared in limited circulations and may not be listed elsewhere. For a list of publications see: professional resume.
- 1960-1968 For encyclopedic and journal articles in art history see the professional resume.
Minneapolis Pre-Algorithmic Period
- 1974. Introductory remarks for a panel on art & religion as part of the dedication of the Kenzo Tange designed additions to the arts complex in Minneapolis. Original English Text: Art & Religion: the Sacred & the Profane; French version: Quelques remarques sur l'Art et le Religion le Sacré et le profane.
- 1980. The Future of Art & Artists, Futurics: Quarterly Journal of Futures Research, Pergamon Press, V 4:3,4. 1980. Revised version from a paper delivered at the First Global Conference on the Future, Toronto, Ontario, July 20-24, 1980.
- 1988. Paper as presented at ISEA, Utrecht, 1988. Published in Leonardo 23:1,1990.
- 1993. Notizen zur epigenetischen kunst: die ezechiel serie quoted from Genetische Kunst - Kunstliches Leben (Genetic Art - Artificial Life), Edited by Karl Gerbel and Peter Weibel, (ISBN 3-901196-072, Vienna, 1993), pp 334-337.
- 1994. Algorithms & the Artist. Panel position statement on the use of algorithms by the artist. First presentation at the 1994 ISEA in Helsinki.
- 1998. The Cloud of Unknowing Revisited: Notes on a Universal Turing Machine
- 1998. Contemplating the Object in Cyberspace Culture. Essay for the 1998 Computerkunst catalogue.
- 2003. "Epigenetic Art Revisited: Software as Genotype" in Code: the language of our time, Ars Electronica 2003, pp.156-167. Gerfried Stocker & Christine Schöpf editors and editing by Ingrid Fischer Schreiber. Published by Hatje Cantz Verlag, 73760 Osterfilden-Ruit, Germany, 2003.
Families of form: generative art created in series.
Families of form created with a common ancestral code are a unique feature of a great deal of my work since 1985. Early series were difficult to document visually due to limited studio resources. More recent series have better documentation. As I find time to locate work and resources I hope to expand the information on various series. from all periods.
Exhibitions with some web documentation:
- 2019 Roman Verostko and the Cloud of Unknowing, Minneapolis College of Art & Design
- 2017 Algorithmic Signs, Piazza San Marco Galleries, Venice, 2017
- 2015 Roman Verostko: Algorithmic Transformations. The Saint Vincent Gallery, St Vincent College, Latrobe, PA.
- 2011 Geometries of the Sublime. Museum Contemporary Art, Zagreb
- 2011 Three Story Drawing Machine Northern Spark event at MCAD
- 2010, Algorithmic Poetry: The Joy of Digital, Gallery DAM, Berlin
2005, SIGGRAPH Art Gallery, Los Angeles Convention Center.
2005, The Pearl Park Scriptures, Digital Art Museum, Tucholskystr. 37, Berlin, Germany. New works featuring algorithmic glyphs coded to textual legacies of varying cultural traditions. May 27 - July 27 2005,
2004, October 31 2004 - 2006, Algorithmic Revolution: The history of interactive art. ZKM:Medienmuseum at the Zentrum für Kunst und Medientechnologie.
2003, State of the Art: Maps, Stories, Games and Algorithms from Minnesota, Carlton Art Gallery, Northfield Minnesota, Opening reception, November 5, 2003. More on the exhibition and exhibitors
- 2003, Epigenetic Art Revisited, presented at Ars Electronica, 2003. Code: the language of our time. Linz, Austria, September 5-12, 2003.
- 2003, ARTWARE2, digital art exhibition, PUCP Cultural Center, S. Isidro, El Ojo Ajeno Galería, Lima, Perú. Includes selections of RV's work representing 5 phases of his work. April 8 to May 4, 2003.
- 1993 ff, Computerkunst, Gladbeck, Germany. Includes links or info on 1993, 1998, 2000, 2002, 2003, 2005.
- 2001, Roman Verostko, Algorithmic Fine Art, 25 years of experimental work. Arizona State University, Tempe, 2001.
- 2002, Math and Art, Selby Gallery, Ringling School of Art and Design an exhibition of works exploring the relationship between art and mathematics. Febraury 22 to March 30, 2002.
- 2002, Computerkunst 2002, Gladbeck, Germany.
- 1988 ff, ISEA participation, 1988-ff. Summary of participation in the International Symposia on Electronic Art initiated by the Inter-Society for Electronic Art in 1988, Utrecht.
site map | main menu | search | contact